Friday, August 21, 2015

Do You Have Standards?

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE STANDARDS. I dare say!

James, threw the question at me in the car while on our way home. It was in reference to my singleness. He wanted to know if I am a picky person when it comes to choosing a partner. He was not the only one who asked that, but others were more blunt and very decisive that I am picky. Right. They knew better what they were talking about. And I always have to argue my point, like what I am going to do now. Lol.

You could and should not choose a partner for the sake of being in a relationship. Out of pressure, I know several people who married to get rid of the single status. If they are happy with it, fine. It's not my place to judge them. We all make different choices that suit us.

I was told I had I high standards and I was too picky. I used to agree then, to make them shut up and you know, they knew better. I already knew what I want in a relationship, in a person I want to be with. Only, I was not decided to be firm on what I want, or who I want.

They said I should lower my standards so I could get a hook up. Wait, what? After stating their opinion, that's the best suggestion they came up with. You know whenever I heard that, the first thing that came to mind was which part of me I should change in order to fit another person in my life. Second thought was, how low should I get to "soften" my high standards. My reason could not agree with it. It was wrong. My inner rebel just felt offended. Lowering my standard is like denying a part of my self to exist.

What's a standard in the first place? I bet each one has different definition of it. Everyone has different elements that define each of their standard. Just because some things work for others, they would work for the rest. It's wrong to push one's standard to others. Do I really have a high standard? I only know two elements that consist mine - love and connection. What's so high with that?

I do believe every part of a good relationship revolves with the two - one should complement with the other. I could not settle with just one. I could not settle for half-bake. I want something that is consists of everything alive. I do believe that when something is meant to be, everything just falls into place. I do believe when people are meant for each other, they do not need to lower their standards because each perfectly fit to what they're looking for, that they would accept each other for what they are and what they are not. I do believe no one should settle for something less than they deserve. I do believe everyone deserves the best.

And I want the best, according to my standard, not someone else's. I am sure I am not alone on that.

In fairness, James agreed with me. So did Alona, who was in the front seat with James.

I guess people can't help but ask questions and be concern with your life, relationship specifically. But if you explain how you want things for yourself and citing them -- and the standard they have for what they want -- as your argument, they would see things their way, instead of mine. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment