Friday, August 21, 2015

A Dinner With High School Friends

No better place to meet up for dinner. It simply was ^.

Last night I met my high school friends, in honor of our friend who's in the country for her vacation (she's based in California, USA). Several people were asked to join but we were down to seven, two men and five women. We had dinner in a Chinese restaurant, Majestic Restaurant (if I can get hold of the other pics, I might post an entry of the food there for In My City), in Ayala Mall.

It should have been more grand, considering we haven't seen each other for a looong time! But dinner was just fine for the small party of seven. There's been a mention of a grand celebration next year...so we'll see. I'm excited!

Meeting people you haven't seen in a long time can be dreadful in a sense that it feels like you're meeting them for the first time and you have to find some common grounds. Since we lived separate lives after our graduation, we lost touch, so to speak. There is nothing like meeting friends on regular basis in person, but we're scattered in different parts of the world. Facebook is kind of a good thing to keep in touch, be updated and set time to reconnect, I guess.

But dread was nothing compared to the excitement. After all the hi's and hello's, it's getting down to business of "how's life", "oh gawd, where are you working", "are you married"...and such and such. Lol. The most juicy part was asking about some people we knew in our high school. I would not like to label it gossiping but getting updated (lol!). And since I had not heard much about the other batch mates, I could only ask what happened to some of our friends and they were kind (nice, gracious, informative?) enough to provide more detailed accounts. There were several mentions of this and that who were married but got separated. Hearing that kind of story, no wonder anyone who's single would re-think about marriage, yours truly included. Lol.

Two questions were directed at this girl several times during dinner:

"So why are you not married yet?" This kind of question is really a must on gatherings, eh? This had a follow-up question in the car on our way home that called for a separate entry.

"Are you bulimic?" ... in reference to my w-e-i-g-h-t. And Darling, her name really, asked the question while mimicking the act of self-induced vomiting. WTF. Calling me anorexic was amusing and suggesting I'm bulimic was less so. Lol. Eating, or pretending to eat, only to force yourself to throw up after is a LOT of work, in my opinion. I threw up several times when I was drunk and it was nasty every time and they happened involuntarily (your insides just have a way of telling you're in a mess, no?), would I subject myself to voluntary torture? Naaaayyyyyyyy. With the weight being discuss all the time, one learns to be gracious about it (for some reason I can hear Alanis Morrisette's line "you learn, you live"), by doing this ---> :D ....followed by long-winded explanation. Lol.

Anyway, it was a nice dinner filled with stories and laughter. It was nice to know that however we led our lives, we could still pick up where we left off. More than the friendship, I guess that's what maturity is all about, to be in good terms with everyone you know and to stay connected for the rest of your life, if possible. THAT, is included in my definition of a GOOD LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment