Friday, September 11, 2015

When Life Gave Me Lemon By Way Of A Failed OS



I mentioned my worry about the possibility of a disjointed laptop. No worries (yet), the appendages are still attached. I had more pressing problem than that. The OS just failed to work! Being a tenacious creature who does not easily give up, I basically spent the whole weekend – with a feeling that all my effort was futile, but still, I could not give up, just because – trying the system repair until it gave me a notice that it can’t, and it eventually shut down and I did the same process for the nth time. When I realized there was no other way to start my laptop working but to reformat and re-install the OS, I cried, unashamedly. Considering the circumstance, it’s understandable. Right?

I mean consider these:
      Millions of words written.
      Thousands of photographs.
      Five years of memories with families and friends.
      Countless stories of strangers yet to to be told.

ALL REDUCED TO 0. 

Who, in hell, would not cry over lost files?! Trust me, there are things that can break a heart besides a love affair gone wrong.

I thought about the efforts I put on my writings - the sleepless nights, the shameless thesaurus checking for the right words, the insecurity over grammar, the joy that came with the finished articles/essays. I grieved for the fortunate accidents that moments gave me to have beautiful pictures. All the crazy times that I waited for the right components to appear for those perfect shots…zilch. No more evidences. They now only exist in my head. 

I’m still reeling from my loss, but life has to go on. One has to begin again. This sounds like a lame attempt in marketing a lousy rom-com. Lol.

I had some help to re-install the OS. Some programs were replaced by another. And my keyboard is like a ghost manipulating the Ouija board, the cursor runs like crazy from one point to another , messing what I’m writing.  So my fear that “once a ‘puter/lappy is being tinkered, it’s never going to be the same” is right. And oh my Encarta is gone…so much for trying at being cultured.

I’m not whining. Considering I could not get back what I had lost (woot the cliché!), whining is pretty much useless. I’m trying my best-est at humor. Laugh, please.

You know, I have to say, even when you’re at your lowest - being desolate and hopeless – and your head is wrapped around on your moment’s concern, IF YOU’RE WILLING TO SEE, IF YOU’RE WILLING TO BE SURPRISED, you will always find something to lighten your mood, something akin to sunlight peeking through the cracks in the dark clouds. I basically meant humor. Or comedy. Or however you categorize it.

So, there I was,  mourning with heavy heart over my lost history while entertaining different thoughts over my future works (that would probably need my lost materials) and considering my options, two of my friends (who are in different parts of the country) sent me a private message (out of the blue!) if I’m married and if not, why.

                                      *___________________________*

                                                    The hell?!
But instead of losing head over it and be more upset, it cracked me up. BIG TIME. God (and I do believe He exists) has humor.  Like I already told before, as long as I’m single, it’s a question that will hound me. I found it amusing every time. And given that it’s amusing to me, and to be asked that amusing question while I was distraught, the timing was just perfect and not at the same time. That’s what  I found comical, the absurdity of the timing.

When you’re able to laugh through your misery, you know things will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment